Here in all its glory is the Library of Celsus, symbol of Ephesus.
Thanks to extensive restoration efforts, the building in its time was one of the greatest in the city, stand in all its form of grandeur.
Built over the tomb of the Roman Senator, Tiberius Julius Celsus by his son Gaius Julius Aquila in the year 100 AD as a monument to his father, the building also provided an important public service.
Upon the death of his father and the inheritance of his estate Aquila Celsus donated 25000 pieces of gold for the acquisition and preservation of books for the library.
Books at the time were scrolls and parchments and were stored in cabinet style compartments.
The staff of the library consisted of poets, intellectuals and learned men of the day.
The apertures on the top tier of the library were built above the entrances in a linear fashion. 9 broad steps led to the 3 equal distant doorways.
The 4 statues the originals of which are on display in Ephesus museum in Vienna, represents Celsus' virtues.
These Virtues are from Left to Right:
A Sarcophagus decorated with a relief of Eros, Nike and rosettes can be found in the Crypt.
The original statue of Celsus, is on display in the Istanbul Archaeology Museum.
The reading room suffered serious damage during the great earthquake of 262 AD.
While the front piece is damaged beyond repair by an earthquake during the middle ages.
The front facade was unearth in 1905 to 1906 and after extensive renovation work between 1970 and 1978 was re-erected without the use of any additional or supporting structures.